Halloween 2011 - DIY Tutorials - Japanese Meal Themed Family Halloween Costumes
(Note: Some links in this post are affiliate links, and we will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking through our links. Read our disclosure policy here.)
We look forward to Halloween every year simply because it gives us an excuse to be creative and silly – well, okay, we need no excuse for that do we?
Each year we think of a theme for our family and this year we chose "Japanese Meal". Here's a look at how we made our DIY Japanese meal themed family Halloween costumes.
DIY Adult Sushi Chef Halloween Costume Tutorial:
- Black printed fabric
- Red printed fabric
- Red webbing
- Use a long rectangular piece of fabric. When folded in half it should measure from shoulder to wherever you want it to end, like the waist/hip area.
- To sew sleeve holes, sew about 3/4 of the way up both open sides of the folded fabric.
- For the front opening, cut the top piece of fabric down the center all the way up to the fold.
- Sew red webbing around the entire opening.
- Cut a long rectangular piece of red printed fabric for headband.
DIY Kids California Roll Halloween Costume Tutorial:
Note: Both front and back sides are identical so we’ll explain just the one side.
- First, make what resembles a black tank top using the black stretch fabric. The tank top has 2 layers of fabric on front, 2 layers on back – leave the layers open at the bottom for now.
- Inside the front 2 layers, cut a round piece of cardboard and placed it inside, then sew the bottom of the tank closed.
- Use white fuzzy fabric for rice. Cut it into a circle and hot glued to the front of the tank.
- The black and color pieces (seaweed, cucumber, etc) are foam sheets, cut and hot glued.
- Since this was a sushi tank top pretty much, we just had him wear a black long sleeve shirt to match the seaweed tank.
- This one was a bit tricky. Hope that made sense!
DIY Pet Shrimp Sashimi Halloween Costume Tutorial:
- Use the same fuzzy white fabric used for Cali Roll. Cut a rectangle shape long enough to fit pet.
- Shrimp is orange foam sheets cut out into pieces like a puzzle and hot glued.
- Black seaweed wrap is felt.
- Added velcro to the bottom to easily wrap it around our pup.
DIY Adult Soy Sauce packet Halloween Costume Tutorial:
- Cut 2 rectangular pieces of red felt to fit desired length (from chin to knee)
- Neck hole, sew top leaving enough space for your head to fit through – sew about 3 inches from edge. Leaving enough space to cut the triangles edges.
- Bottom, leave open and cut the same triangle edges as top
- Arm holes – sew top above arm hole about 3 inches. Leave opening for arm. Sew remaining below the hole all the way down.
- Large white and black pieces on top were cut from felt and hot glued.
- Everything else was printed from the computer and glued on.
There you have it. Fun DIY Japanese meal themed family costumes for Halloween.
If you make your own versions we'd love to see! Tag #IZZAROOcostumes for a chance to be featured on our website.
See our past Halloween costumes for more fun ideas.
Hope this inspires you to #CREATEmore and make lasting memories for your family. I would love to hear what you think of these in the comments section.
To see some of our fun video tutorials, check out our YouTube channel.
If you love to create like us, you'll love our collection of Create More shirts. 10% of net profits will benefit organizations that empower underprivileged youth. Learn more about our mission to Be The Good.