DIY Tutorial - How to Make a Gnome Halloween Costume
(Note: Some links in this post are affiliate links, and we will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking through our links. Read our disclosure policy here.)
We love Halloween around here. Mostly because it allows us to be super creative and silly. Each year we think of a new theme and make our costumes around that theme. This has become one of our favorite family traditions. It allows us to tackle new challenges and make lasting memories together. It's hard to believe we have 10+ years of DIY Halloween costumes under our belt and we're still going strong.
This year for Halloween we picked a Mythical Chacater theme, which includes a dragon, unicorn, and fairy.
Here is the DIY tutorial on how to make a gnome costume.
- Red felt - 1/2 yard
- White felt - 1/2 yard
- Grey felt - 1/4 yard
- Dark brown felt - 1/2 yard
- Light brown felt - 1/4 yard
- Hot glue gun
- Large branch for walking stick (every gnome needs a large stick)
Links to buy the supplies you will need:
Hat & Facial Hair
- Cut a quarter circle from one corner of the red felt to make a cone shape.
- Roll the cone into a hat and sew or glue the ends together. The height and size of the hat can be adjusted by the size of cone you draw.
- Cut 2 eyebrows from the white felt.
- Glue the eyebrows on the front edge of the hat.
- Cut three layers of white felt to make the beard.
- We sewed the three layers together to give the beard more depth and texture.
- Measure the distance from your chin to top of your ears, and the distance from ear to ear to figure out where the beard will be placed on your face.
- Position the beard on your face and place the hat on your head to mark the location.
- Glue the two top ends of the beard to the sides of the hat.
Now you have an official gnome hat and beard!
- The belt is made from a long strip of gray felt and pieces of the light brown felt to make the buckle and loop.
- We glued a piece of hook tape (ie. Velcro) behind the buckle to hold the belt in place.
We did not have any knee high boots for my husband, so we improvised by making knee high wraps from the 1/2 yard of dark brown felt with a folded cuff.
- Fold the leg wraps
- Sew or glue the two ends of the felt together.
Wear the leg wraps over a pair of brown leather shoes and you have a pair of knee-high gnome boots.
There you go, a simple gnome costume for your treks through the forest or trick or treating. Add the large walking stick for the full effect.
This costume was 1 of 4 mythical character themed costumes we made for our family this year. Check out tutorials for the dragon, unicorn, and fairy costumes.
Did you know we make our costumes every year?! See all our past Halloween costumes for more fun ideas.
For extra help making your costumes, see the video tutorials on our YouTube channel.
I hope this inspires you to #CREATEmore and make lasting memories for your family. I would love to hear your thoughts, comments, questions in the comments section below.
If you make your own version we'd love to see! Tag #IZZAROOcostumes for a chance to be featured on our website.
If you haven't already, check out our shop. 10% of net profits will benefit organizations that empower underprivileged youth. Learn more about our mission to Be The Good.