DIY Tutorial - How to Make a Unicorn Halloween Costume
(Note: Some links in this post are affiliate links, and we will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking through our links. Read our disclosure policy here.)
We love Halloween around here. Mostly because it allows us to be super creative and silly. Each year we think of a new theme and make our costumes around that theme. This has become one of our favorite family traditions. It allows us to tackle new challenges and make lasting memories together. It's hard to believe we have 10+ years of DIY Halloween costumes under our belt and we're still going strong.
This year for Halloween we picked a Mythical Chacater theme, which includes a dragon, gnome, and fairy.
Here is the DIY tutorial on how to make a unicorn costume.
Horn & Ears Headband
- Gold spandex fabric
- Plastic craft headband
- Stretch gold cord ribbon
- White, pink and multi-color felt
- Elastic band
- Hot glue gun
Links to buy the supplies you'll need:
- Cut a triangle (with a flat, not pointy top) out of your Gold spandex fabric
- Insert your Stretch gold cord ribbon into the top before sewing or hot gluing the top and sides shut
- Leave the bottom open
- Turn right side out
- Stuff with Poly-Fil (Use a wooden stick or chopstick to help stuff completely.)
- Cut a cardboard (or any other stiff material) circle slightly smaller than the bottom opening.
- Lay the cardboard circle on top of the poly-fil.
- Hot glue shut.
- Wrap the gold cord around the horn.
- Cut 2 circular pieces of white felt.
- Hot glue 1 to the bottom of horn.
- Be sure to insert the gold cord ribbon before gluing shut to keep it in place.
- Cut 2 long strips of white felt.
- Hot glue starting at one end of the headband.
- Wrap felt around headband (hot glue as you go) until entire headband is wrapped.
- Hot glue the horn to the headband and keep in place by gluing the remaining white circle underneath.
Now it's time to add the ears.
- Cut 4 white ear pieces
- Cut 2 pink ear pieces
- Hot glue together 2 white and 1 pink ear piece, leaving the bottom white section unglued
It will look like this.
Now to make the flowers and leaves. The leaves were simply cut from an artificial flower bouquet.
To make the flowers:
- Cut a wavy spiral from a circular piece of felt.
- Roll the spiral.
- You'll end up with a cute little flower.
- Repeat as many times and with as many different colors as you would like.
Mane, Tail and Hooves
Link to buy the supplies you'll need:
- Since yarn can get tangled easily when unraveled, I wrapped it around a ruler.
- I folded my long pieces of yarn in half and used a wooden stick to keep it in place while I braided the mane and tail.
To make the hooves:
- Cut the Elastic band to the size of your leg where you want the hooves to start.
- Insert the yarn through the elastic band and fold yarn around it, space it out evenly around leg.
- Weave one piece of yarn around leg and tie closed to keep the dangling yarn from moving.
Pair this with an all-white outfit and a flower headband around our neck and you've got yourself a cute unicorn costume.
This costume was 1 of 4 mythical character themed costumes we made for our family this year. Check out tutorials for the dragon, gnome, and fairy costumes.
Did you know we make our costumes every year?! See all our past Halloween costumes for more fun ideas.
For extra help making your costumes, see the video tutorials on our YouTube channel.
I hope this inspires you to #CREATEmore and make lasting memories for your family. I would love to hear your thoughts, comments, questions in the comments section below.
If you make your own version we'd love to see! Tag #IZZAROOcostumes for a chance to be featured on our website.
If you haven't already, check out our shop. 10% of net profits will benefit organizations that empower underprivileged youth. Learn more about our mission to Be The Good.