200+ Online Resources for Homeschool and Remote Learning (many are free)
Below is a comprehensive list of educational resources for remote learning, teaching, and homeschooling for kids, teens, and adults. The list was originally created by Joy and Rick Rosson. First compiled for friends and families, they are generously sharing their effort to help others during the COVID19 pandemic and school closures. Joy Rosson is a former classroom teacher mom who has homeschooled her teenage son since he was four. She also educates others on all areas of wellness (physical, emotional, familial, and financial) with a focus on non-toxic living in all areas of life. You can follow her at https://www.facebook.com/oktobewell/ or https://www.facebook.com/joy.novackrosson.
I have added resources gathered in our own homeschooling journey to the list as well. Do you know of other resources? Leave them in the comments below and we will add them to this ever-growing list.
Advanced Learning, Adult Learning
- BWS Education Consulting - Test Prep for SAT, ACT, etc.
- The Great Courses Plus - Classes for older teens or adults
- Coursera - Tons of free classes from leading universities and companies
- Fiveable - Resources for AP students including live reviews, live trivia, and study guides!
- EDX - 2,500+ online courses from top institutions
- Macro Learning - Resources for AP students
Coding, Cryptography, and Computers
- Scratch - Scratch draws students of all types into coding and lays a foundation for future learning.
- Code Academy - Learn to code
- Crypto Club - Immerse yourself in cryptography
- Instructables - 3D printing projects and Coding projects, involving math and other K-12 subjects
- Coding with Star Wars - Code Star Wars characters
- Kodable - Programming for ages 4-10
- Free Code Camp - Learn to code. Build projects. Earn certifications.
- Club Sci Kidz - Daily free science or cooking experiment to do at home.
- Nomster Chef - Illustrated recipes designed to help kids age 2-12 cook with their grown-ups. Recipes encourage culinary skills, literacy, math, and science.
Engineering, STEM, and Finance
- 3 Free Weeks of Maker Stations to keep your children creating at home! Each challenge includes simple instructions using materials around the house, QR code video resources, and a student recording sheet.
- Banzai - Exposes students to real-world financial dilemmas to teach them the importance of smart money management.
- Kids Think Design explores careers in fashion design, graphic design, interior design, book design, product design, film and theatre, architecture, animation, and environmental design.
- The Concord Consortium - A collection of hundreds of free K-12 STEM resources, from standalone models and simulations to short activities and week-long sequences of curriculum materials.
- The Homeschool Scientist - Engineering challenges with things you have at home
Exercise, Yoga, Movement, and Social-Emotional Learning
- The OT Box - Educational brain breaks to help students review essential literacy and math skills, while getting in some exercise. Find over 900 videos to help your child keep learning at home and burn off some extra energy. Our site is best used for ages 4-At home OT, PT, and ST resources designed to build skills in children through movement and play.
- Sworkit - Kid-friendly workouts — choose from Strength for Kids, Agility for Kids, Flexibility and Balance for Kids, Warm-Up for Kids, Cooldown for Kids, Stand Up and Move for Kids, OR create your own custom kid workout.
- GoNoodle - Movement and mindfulness videos created by child development experts.
- Little Twisters Yoga and Emotional Wellness - Free at-home kids yoga lesson plans.
- Cosmic Kids Yoga - YouTube channel for yoga, mindfulness, and relaxation for kids. Interactive adventures which build strength, balance, and confidence - and get kids into yoga and mindfulness early!
- Overcoming Obstacles - Life skills curriculum for students in grades K-12. Their resources include strategies for teaching social and emotional skills.
Farms and Animals
- Smithsonian - No need to travel to one of the Smithsonian’s zoos or museums — this website brings your child everything from live video of the National Zoo to the Smithsonian Learning Lab right to their screen
- San Diego Zoo - Website just for kids with amazing videos, activities, and games. Enjoy the tour!
- National Geographic Kids - Geography and animals
- FarmFood 360 - 11 Virtual Tours of farms from minks, pigs, and cows, to apples and eggs.
- Switch Zoo - Play games and learn all about animals
- Duolingo - Learn foreign languages for free. Forever.
- Conjuguermos - Vocabulary, grammar, listening activities and games in Spanish, French, Italian, German, Portuguese, Korean, and Latin.
- Memrise - The fastest way to learn a language.
- Difusion - Resources for Spanish practice
- Chalk Academy - Chinese learning activities
History and Civics
- What Was There - Allows students to type in any city, state, or country to view an archive of historical photographs and other documents. It’s a unique way to help them learn about history.
- Bunk - Digital archive of history
- Mission - An interactive way to learn history
- BBC - Games, quizzes and fact sheets take kids on a journey through time.
- Big History Project - Online history classes for all ages preteen through adults
- Ben's Guide to the U.S. Government - This interactive website, hosted by the U.S. Government Publishing Office, allows your child to see the ins and outs of the U.S. government by taking a series of learning adventures with none other than Benjamin Franklin.
- A+ Click - Math and logic problems for ages 5 and up to adult
- Dragon Box - Algebra games for kids
- Math Chimp - fractions practice
- DreamBox Learning - K-8 online math program that looks at how a student is solving problems to adjust accordingly and build a unique learning path for them.
- CanFigureIt - Geometry
- Mangahigh - Website allows students to play basic games to reinforce math skills and compete against the computer or others
- Math Celebrity - Enter your math problem or search term, press the button, and they show you the step-by-step work and answer instantly. 2nd grade through college.
- Math Playground - Elem Math games, logic puzzles, and educational resources
- Boddle - Elem Math through 6th grade
- Math Score - Math practice from counting to algebra and geometry
- Curriculum Associates - Free printable K-8 Reading and Math activity packs (available in English and Spanish)
- Numberphile - Short videos about numbers that help kids explore complex math topics and make math more fun.
- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt - Math Videos with lessons, real-life uses of math, famous actors
- Singapore Math - Free online resources and reasonably priced curriculum.
- Fun Brain - Math and Reading games
- Scoot Pad - Adaptive curriculum in Math and ELA for Grades K-8
- ABCya - Math and reading games
- Bedtime Math - Math as a fun part of your daily family routine
- Arcademics - Math and language games
- Grid Club - Math games galore
- Xtra Math - Math practice
- Delta Math - A wide range of math content from middle school through AP Calculus.
- Zearn - K-5 curriculum that builds deep understanding and a love of learning math for all students
Music and Arts
- Theta Music Trainer offers a series of online courses and games for ear training and music theory.
- Artsology - Helps kids learn to appreciate the arts by providing them with the opportunity to play games, conduct investigations, and explore different forms of art.
- National Gallery of Art - NGAkids interactives offer an entertaining and informative introduction to art and art history.
- Music Theory - Introductory and intermediate music theory lessons, exercises, ear trainers, and calculators.
- Chrome Music Lab - Music is for everyone
- Preschool Express - Crafts, activities, bulletin board designs, and fingerplays for early education teachers and parents to use with kids.
- QuaverMusic is offering free access to general music activities to all impacted schools, including free student access at-home
- Sight Reading Factory - Sight-reading and sight-singing practice exercises.
- Prodigies is a colorful music curriculum for kids 1-12 that will teach your kids how to play their first instrument, how to sing in tune & how to understand the language of music! 21 for free
- Smart Music - Music practice transformed
- Rockalingua - Music Based Spanish Learning
- The Well - Poetry and music
- Virtual Musical Instruments - Lets kids play instruments online. Instruments include the guitar, piano, pan flute, drums, and bongos.
- Songs for Teaching - A large selection of fun songs to help teach preschool and kindergarten students
- Art for Kids Hub - YouTube channel with art lessons for all ages.
National Parks, Nature, Out-of-Doors
- Farmer’s Almanac for kids… Date, weather, moon phase, etc.
- My First Garden - Guide to gardening for kids
- Smithsonian Ocean - This educational website hosted by the Smithsonian Museum takes a deep dive into ocean life.
- Alaskan Wildlife cams
- National Park Service - Tour Yellowstone National Park!
Puzzles, Crafts, and Learning Fun
- The Color - Online digital coloring pages
- All Kids Network - Crafts, activities, mazes, dot to dot, etc,
- Jigsaw Explorer - Online photograph jigsaw puzzles You can set the pieces from 6-1000+
- Crazy Games - Tons and tons and tons of games some learning some just fun
- Funology - Crafts, projects, science, recipes for young children
- Highlights Kids - Fun games, recipes, crafts, activities
Reading, Literature, Language Arts, and Phonics
- ReadWorks is an online resource of reading passages and lesson plans for students of all levels K-12.
- Into The Book - Games to get “into the book”
- Dreamscape - Engaging reading game for grades 2-8 that combines strategy, engagement, and imaginative reading passages to create a fun, curriculum-aligned literacy game.
- Storyline Online - Fave kids books read by famous people
- Novel Effect makes storytime a little more fun for kids (and grown-ups too!) As you read out loud from print books (or ebooks!) music, sound effects, and character voices play at just the right moment, adjusting and responding to your voice.
- Commonlit - Reading passages for grades 3-12, with reading comprehension and discussion questions.
- Starfall - Phonics skills
- Fun Fonix - Phonics worksheets for kids
- Reading Eggs - Phonics and learning to read
- Good and Beautiful - Course sets (Levels 1–5) that combine and thoroughly cover phonics, reading, writing, spelling, literature, grammar, punctuation, art, and geography—all in one easy-to-use, beautiful course.
- Shurley Instructional Materials - English program for grades K-8 provides a clear, logical, and concrete approach to language arts.
- Magic Tree House - Interactive games based on the book series
- Dog on a Log Books - Printable board games, activities and more for phonics and reading all using evidence-based methods. Can be customized to any student’s needs including creating flashcards for other subjects.
- Mystery Science - K-5th Science lessons
- Steve Spangler Science - Tons of science experiments that you can do at home
- The Science Spot - Science projects that can be completed with or without Internet access
- Tyto Online - Next Generation Science video game focused on middle school where students directly engage in scientific phenomena as they solve problems.
- PHET - Science and math labs and simulations
- The Happy Scientist - Just explore, have fun, and learn some science along the way.
- Elemental Science - 80+ do at-home science activities
Science: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and General Science
- Positive Physics - An online physics problem and video bank designed for conceptual, standard, honors or AP1 physics.
- Play Mada Games - Increase your understanding of chemistry
- Premeditated Leftovers - Amphibian unit studies
- Cells Alive - Learn all about cells
- Chemicool - Learn all about the periodic table
- Biodigital - A human visualization platform that allows students to explore the human body in really cool ways.
- Biology Simulations - Biology
- SEPUP - Science simulations, scientist profiles, and other digital resources for middle school science and high school biology
- American Chemical Society - High school chemistry topics
- Backpack Sciences - Hands on Elem science videos
- Innerbody explores the 11 bodily systems in depth. With interactive models and detailed explanations, this website will help them learn more about the internal mechanics of the amazing human body.
Science: Space, Astronomy, Geology, and Geography
- Weather Wiz Kidz - From rainbows to tornadoes and winter storms to tsunamis, meteorologist Crystal Wicker breaks down the fascinating world of weather.
- Earthquakes for Kids - Learn all about earthquakes
- NASA - Space science for kiddos
- GeoGuessr - Tests kids’ geography skills. Using images from Google’s Street View, it plops players down in the middle of the street and asks them to figure out where they are.
- NASA Climate Kids - This NASA initiative covers a wide range of topics including weather, climate, atmosphere, water, energy, plants, and animals.
- Ask Dr. Universe is a science-education project from Washington State University. Kids can send Dr. Universe any question they may have about history, geography, plants, animals, technology, engineering, math, culture, and more.
- Access Mars - Explore the surface of Mars on the Curiosity Rover.
- Everyday Earth - Interactive video earth science based curriculum supplement.
Toddlers and Pre-K
- Preschool Inspirations - Toddler and preschool age ideas
- National Geographic Young Explorers is a magazine designed specifically for kindergarten and first-grade students. Children can listen to the magazine being read to them as they follow along with the highlighted text.
- Busy Toddler - Indoor Activities for busy toddlers
- PBS Kids - Play with fave show characters and learn too
- Seussville - Read, play games, and hang out with Dr. Seuss
- 123 Homeschool 4 Me - 300,000+ FREE printable worksheets from toddlers to teens
Virtual World Travel, World Culture, and Museums
- Met Museum - A wonderful, endlessly detailed way to get kids engaged in the world of art.
- Louvre - Travel to Paris, France to see amazing works of art at The Louvre with this virtual field trip.
- The China Guide - This Virtual Tour of the Great Wall of China is beautiful and makes history come to life.
- Country Reports - 35,000 pages of online content on the cultures and countries of the world.
- Project Explorer - Free videos from around the world from grade 3-12
- British Museum - This iconic museum located in the heart of London allows virtual visitors to tour the Great Court and discover the ancient Rosetta Stone and Egyptian mummies.
Writing, Spelling, and Keyboarding
- The Story Starter - Randomly generates 356,300,262,144 story starters
- Nitro Type - Improve your typing skills while competing in fast-paced races with up to 5 typers from around the world.
- Paragraph Punch - Teaches students how to write a paragraph through an interactive online tutorial
- No Red Ink - Online curriculum that builds better writers.
- Spelling Training - Spelling 1-4 grade
- Spelling City is free right now with code VSCFree90
- Brainbox - Magic Spell is a carefully crafted spelling adventure.
- Typing Club - Keyboarding practice
- Typing - Typing practice
- Classroom Cereal - Grammar practice for middle grades
- Teachers Pay Teachers - Free Printables for PreK - 12th Grade
- Breakout EDU - Educational games K-12
- CK-12 - Science, Math, Social Studies
- Fluency & Fitness - Helping kids exercise their brain and body
- HippoCampus - 7,000 free videos in 13 subject areas
- Carmen Sandiego videos, stories, and lessons for all subject Areas
- Izzit - Entertaining & educational videos for all levels and subjects
- Khan Academy - Online education program for toddler through high school…
- Little Spark Company - Free printables library with activities for children 0-6
- Next-Gen Personal Finance - Scads of free resources, games, learning resources, and lesson plans for teaching personal finance
- Supercharged Science - Daily lessons and educational activities that kids can do on their own
- Kiwi Co - Quick & easy at-home projects curated for kids 2 and up
- PBS Learning Media - PreK-12 digital media service with more than 30,000 learning materials
- Pebble Go - Curricular content hub specifically designed for K-3 students.
- Quizlet - For students to practice and master whatever they are learning.
- Red T Media - Critical Thinking resources for K-6 students
- Wonderopolis - Short videos and readings that answer various burning questions for students. There are vocabulary challenges and comprehension questions.
- Turtle Diary - PreK – 5 games for all subjects
- Free Childrens Stories - Free stories online ages 3-12
- Youngzine - News and more for kids
- Grammaropolis - Work on the 8 parts of speech
- Google Earth - All sorts of learning here if you dig in
- Super Simple - Resource section includes free flashcards, coloring pages, worksheets, and other resources for children, teachers, and parents.
- Cool Kid Facts gives your child access to educational videos, pictures, quizzes, downloadable worksheets, and infographics. They can use these to learn about geography, history, science, animals, and even the human body.
- Brainscape offers over a million flashcard decks for every subject, entrance exam, and certification imaginable.
- Art of Problem Solving - Alcumus is specifically designed to provide high-performing students with a challenging curriculum appropriate to their abilities
- Moby Max - Find and fix learning gaps
- Ducksters - Education for kids all topics
- U.S. Mint - Your child can play games, learn fun facts, and find out how to turn coin collecting into a hobby.
- ClickSchooling brings you daily recommendations by email for entertaining websites that help your kids learn.
- Discovery K-12 - Online homeschool platform & curriculum for Pre-K to 12th grade. All main subjects are covered, plus extra-curriculum courses.
A Better Way to Homeschool - A quick-start resource to help families pull together a plan for surviving the next 1-2 months at home with their kids, but it can also be a time of slowing down and enjoying kids as they learn.
Preschool through 8th grade
- All-In-One Homeschool - Every course you could possibly want to homeschool preschool
- Curriki - Digital learning content for preschool through high school
- Saving Dollars & Sense - 100 free online educational program ideas
- Scholastic - Day-by-day projects to keep kids reading, thinking, and growing.
Have other links? Please share them below.