Halloween 2013 - DIY Tutorials - Sea Life Themed Family Halloween Costumes
(Note: Some links in this post are affiliate links, and we will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking through our links. Read our disclosure policy here.)
We look forward to Halloween every year simply because it gives us an excuse to be creative and silly – well, okay, we need no excuse for that do we?
Each year we think of a theme for our family and this year we chose "Sea Life". Here's a look at how we made our DIY sea life theme family Halloween costumes.
DIY Adult Goldfish Halloween Costume Tutorial:
- Light Orange Felt
- Medium Shade of Orange Felt
- Light and Medium shades of orange in jersey material (for top fin)
- Black Felt (for eyes)
- White Jersey fabric or any material with stretch (for eyes)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Cut 2 pieces of light orange felt for hood (or fish head)
- Cut 2 strips of light orange & medium orange jersey for top fin
- Gather the jersey pieces and loosely hand sew in place
- Sew or glue the two hood pieces with the jersey pieces (fin) sandwiched in between
- Cut small piece for front of hood to resemble fish mouth
- Glue medium orange piece for mouth onto front rim of hood
- Cut 2 large circle of white fabric for eyes
- Cut smaller black and white circles for eyes
- Glue all eye pieces together
- Stuff with Poly-fil and glue/sew in place on hood
- Using light orange felt, cut the 'collar' piece and sew/glue 2 velcro squares to opposite corners
- Using light orange felt, cut the large back piece for the body of the fish
- Using both light and medium orange felt cut "U" shapes for the scales
- Glue to top of the "U's" onto the body piece
- Cut 2 pieces of light orange for the bottom fin, stuff with Poly-fil and sew/glue together and then glue this to the body piece
- Cut medium orange piece for the bottom fin. Use a marker to draw the lines or sew stitch lines.
DIY Baby Turtle Halloween Costume Tutorial:
Since Zoey was so tiny, we thought a turtle would be a great costume for her since I could carry her in a carrier. It's perfect how her head and limbs peak out of the turtle shell.
- Dark Green Felt
- Tan felt
- Black Marker
- Green shirt and pants for baby. A green hat would be cute, too.
- Hot Glue Gun
- Using the dark green felt, cut 2 oval shapes larger than your baby carrier
- To attach the costume to the baby carrier: Cut a rectangle about 3 inches tall and wider than your baby carrier. Sew/glue 1 side on 1 piece of the green felt you just cut
- Attach velcro to the other end
- Attached opposite velcro piece to the green oval
- Sew/glue together the 2 green ovals (side with rectangular piece that attaches to the baby carrier should be inside) and leave a 3 inch opening for turning
- Turn it inside out so you no longer see the sewed/glued seams (piece that attaches to baby carrier should now be on the outside)
- Using the tan felt, cut geometric pieces for the shell and glue these pieces onto the green piece you just made
- Draw patterns on the tan felt using black marker
- Fill with Poly-fil and hand sew/glue opening shut
DIY Adult Shark Halloween Costume Tutorial:
- Cut poster board to the shape of the back of shark head
- Use light grey felt to wrap loosely around front of shark head and over the top poster board. Glue in place.
- Cut black and white circles for eyes, glue in place
- Cut to and bottom rows of teeth
- Cut 2 red pieces for mouth, glue together on inside of mouth
- Glue teeth to outer edge of red mouth
- Glue top teeth to grey felt
- Cut 1 grey felt piece to the same shape as red bottom mouth piece
- Cut 1 poster board piece to same shape as red bottom mouth piece
- Glue poster board to bottom mouth piece to keep it stiff
- Glue grey felt to poster board to finish
DIY Kids String Ray Halloween Costume Tutorial:
- Using tan and grey felt, cut 2 identical pieces for the body of the string ray
- Glue/sew top and bottom together, leaving 4 openings for head, arms and body
- Turn inside out to hide seams
- Cut out small grey details of sting ray and glue to tan side
- Cut 2 small triangles and attach to back bottom
- Cut 2 long shapes for the tail, stuff with poly fil and glue in between 2 small triangles
There you have it. Fun DIY sea life theme family costumes for Halloween.
If you make your own versions we'd love to see! Tag #IZZAROOcostumes for a chance to be featured on our website.
See our past Halloween costumes for more fun ideas.
Hope this inspires you to #CREATEmore and make lasting memories for your family. I would love to hear what you think of these in the comments section.
To see some of our fun video tutorials, check out our YouTube channel.
If you love to create like us, you'll love our collection of Create More shirts. 10% of net profits will benefit organizations that empower underprivileged youth. Learn more about our mission to Be The Good.